The Urmston & District Choral Society was formed in 1940 when most church choirs were depleted by the absence of their young men away in the Forces and several church choirs from Urmston joined together to perform “The Messiah”.
Following this the performers decided to make their singing more permanent and in January 1941 the Choral Society was established. Its first performance, “Elijah”, took place that May.
The first rehearsals were held at Brook Road Methodist Sunday School which has remained the rehearsal venue until quite recently when we moved to Greenfield Church in Urmston town centre.
During the 1940s the choir grew in strength and attracted several eminent musicians to perform such as an orchestra that included some Halle members and soloists such as Isobel Baillie.
In May 1954, Paul Crashley was appointed Conductor and he remained in post until his retirement in May 2009, after 55 years of service.
Julie Parker, a former society member who studied at the Royal Northern College of Music and Manchester Metropolitan University replaced Paul as conductor of the choir. Julie had sung with the choir as a teenager before going on to study singing at the Royal Northern College of Music.